Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Blogs from "Cops": Don't Hurt the Kids!

I'm now at the fourth and last of my blog posts on things I've observed on the TV show "Cops." This time I'm not going to write about a specific thing I've heard anyone say, but instead about a general attitude. And it's about an attitude of the cops themselves.

What I've found, from maybe 25 years of watching this show, is that cops hate it when kids get hurt. That makes them madder than anything else. They have a special kind of anger towards the people that do bad things to children.

They are also always on the lookout for protecting children. When they're chasing some guy, and he throws his gun out the car window, later when they've caught the guy, they often say to him, "What if some little kid had picked up that gun?" Or when they go to someone's house to arrest him, and they find drugs lying around openly, and there are little children in the house, they usually give the adults a thorough enraged lecture about what could have happened to the kids if they'd gotten into the drugs.

Sometimes when they have to arrest a guy, and his little kids are nearby, they ask the mother to take the kids inside so that they won't see their dad in handcuffs.

The cops really care about the safety and well-being of children.

I got to thinking that we are God's children. If cops care that much about kids that aren't even their own kids, how much more must God care about us, his own children? He must hate seeing any of his children suffer from injustice, or poverty, or war, or terrible disease, or broken relationships.

What a powerful motivation for us to help others! They are God's children that he loves. I recently stood in a grocery checkout line and looked at all the other people around me, and as I looked at each one, I thought, "God loves her as much as he loves me. God loves him as much as he loves me."

It's easy to get caught up in our own lives, not caring about others. But just like the cops, God wants all his children to be safe and protected. God doesn't want his children to be hurt. God doesn't want them to be victimized. I know that I need to remember that God loves all his children and cares about their safety and well-being. When I remember that, then maybe I will do something about it.

10 comments:

Marie Bowen said...

Thank you for this post, Debbie. What you have said is so true and when the church is at its best it reflects Gods love and care and protection. His love extends most particularly to the weak, the small, the vulnerable, and those who cannot speak for themselves. So when the church protects the unborn, the dying, the paralyzed, the disabled, the limited among us, we are closest to reflecting God's heart for his children.

Debbie said...

You're right, Marie! We especially have to remember those who don't have a voice of their own and can't begin to protect themselves.

Anonymous said...

" But just like the cops, God wants all his children to be safe and protected. God doesn't want his children to be hurt."

Humm....

I think the difference is God cares even when the cameras are not rolling.

Lindsey

Debbie said...

Lindsey, I didn't mean that everything about cops was exactly like God. Of course God's love is greater than any human's love!

But do you really think that cops stop caring as soon as the camera stops? Some probably are only performing for the camera, but I have known a lot of cops, and they genuinely do care.

Jodie said...

So Debbie,

Are you ready to eat some crow on the topic of torture?

Or do you still believe it's just an elaborate plot by the evil liberals to discredit Bush and his fellow right wing heroes?

Debbie said...

Jodie, that's a false dichotomy. I have never believed that it was "an elaborate plot by the evil liberals to discredit Bush and his fellow right wing heroes". I did think that there was possibly a fear that things were happening when in fact they weren't, and that this fear was being treated as actual fact.

I have seen that it was in the news again lately, but I confess that I haven't read the stories, so I can't comment on it. So I don't know if I was right or wrong.

I'm not politically right-wing, so I at least would not have any right-wing heroes, nor would I think of anyone as an evil liberal.

Jodie said...

humm...

Back when you were defending the honor of the IRD you didn't pretend to be so uninformed.

But in case you really are uniformed go find Aric Clark's blog. He has some excellent links to get you up to speed.

http://twofriarsandafool.blogspot.com/

The IRD still says Obama is the devil. Torture, invasions, collapsed economies all not withstanding. I guess they prefer the devil they know.

Debbie said...

Jodie, I never said I was informed about it. You have incorrect memory. What I did say back then was that the IRD was not going to take a stand on something that they had insufficient information about.

My husband has not worked for the IRD since September, so I haven't been following what they're saying. Moreover, torture isn't my issue, nor was it the issue of this blog posting, and I'm not going to respond about it or the IRD any more.

Debbie said...

A comment was removed because it violated my comments policy: "Any comments left on this blog which are mean-spirited or rude towards other people may be removed by me."

Debbie said...

Another comment was removed for the same reason.