Tuesday, June 24, 2008

What Might God Be Doing?

(This post was originally written for Presbyterian Action's General Assembly blog.)

There are a lot of people all over the USA who believe a lot of untrue things about the IRD. Without speculating about who started these rumors or why, I'll just say that the gist of it is that the IRD is supposedly just masquerading as a Christian renewal group, but in reality is a conservative political group whose aim is to silence or sabotage the liberal social witness of the mainline denominations, or, failing that, break up those denominations. Supposedly the IRD has deep pockets and takes orders, according to some of these rumors, from the Bush White House itself.

Of course this is all nonsense, but it's surprising how many people believe these things.

I found this out in person Saturday here at GA when another volunteer and I were manning the Presbyterian Action (IRD) booth in the exhibition hall. A woman started to walk by, and then stopped and said that we had no right to be there. I said that we were Presbyterians, and she said, no, we were not. I replied that I had been a Presbyterian for 34 years, and she still insisted that we were not really Presbyterians. She started to talk about all the evil that she "knew" about that the IRD had done to the PCUSA, and I started to tell her that those things were all myths, but as her voice became more and more raised, I realized that conversation would not be fruitful. So I told her that we would pray for her. She angrily replied that she would pray for us, and then she left.

My fellow volunteer, who had been unware of the anti-IRD rumors, was stunned, as were the people in the neighboring booths, and even I was left a little shaky.

Later that day, walking along the sidewalk outside, I passed the same woman, and we eyed each other uneasily and exchanged wary smiles.

The next day, Sunday, which was yesterday, committee meetings began, and, to my surprise, I discovered that the same woman is a commissioner member of the committee that I am observing. I started wondering if God was placing her deliberately in my path, and began wanting to reach out to her.

That evening, I prayed about the situation, asking God that if he was putting this woman and me together, that he would make it clear, and that he would help me know what to say.

This morning, Monday, I sat in on her committee meeting again. During a break, I was washing my hands in the restroom, when I looked to the right, and there she was, at the very next sink. It could hardly have been more clear that God was putting her and me together! So I said hi, and she said hi too. We ended up telling each other our names and having a conversation right there.

We did not convince each other of anything in that conversation. She still believes that the IRD has no right to be at GA, and that the IRD is harming the PCUSA. But she knows my name, and she knows that I love Jesus. She knows I'm a linguist, not some IRD automaton. I know her name, and that she has been a presbytery moderator. We told each other a little bit about our views. We named each other sisters in Christ. We even hugged. I hope that in her mind, I am not the enemy; she is certainly not the enemy to me.

I saw her again across the balcony this evening at the worship service held across the street in the civic auditorium. I'm interested to see what God is going to do with this. Or maybe I'll never know, but whatever it is, it should be good.

2 comments:

Douglas Underhill said...

This is, perhaps, a good opportunity to ask questions. I can put answers together based on what the IRD puts on its website, but I'm curious for your take on it.

First, if IRD's aim is not to, shall we say undue or resist the liberal social witness of the church (I could also say silence perhaps), what is its aim vis-a-vis that social witness?

Second, the IRD does seem to be conservative, and issues it is concerned with could be described as political, so could once say that it is *also* a conservative political group, in addition to identifying itself as a Christian renewal group?

Questions aside, I think that what you describe is a best-case scenario, whatever disagreements I might have or not have with the IRD's positions and statements. By best-case, I mean the best-case response to hostility and the disagreement that is behind it. It sounds like something redemptive might have come out of what sounds at first like an upsetting experience.

Debbie said...

IRD's aims, briefly, as I understand them, are to have the church's social witness be biblical as evangelicals (theological conservatives) understand it, and also to persuade the church not to make political pronouncements that reflect only one possible means of solving a complex problem. For example, Christians may all agree that poverty and racism are problems that we are called to work against, but we may disagree as to the best means to do that. Therefore IRD believes that the church should use restraint in making statements about THE way in which to tackle those problems, in the name of all their members, as if any other way were immoral or wrong.

The issues IRD is concerned with are only considered political if their opponents choose to view them that way. IRD responds to issues brought up by other groups.

I'm not speaking officially for IRD, however, and I don't want to have a discussion about IRD on this blog; the point of this post is about the fascinating things that God can do at GA.